Sound Mental Health is seeking a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) to join our team! Sound Mental Health is a non-profit organization which has been a vital community resource since 1966; Sound Mental Health is one of King County’s most comprehensive providers of mental health, substance abuse and behavioral health services. Our mission is to strengthen our community and improve the lives of our clients by delivering excellent health and human services tailored to meet their needs.
Full time with full benefits. The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (ARNP is a professional level position intended to provide psychiatric services in our agency through the prescribing and monitoring of medications, evaluation of psychiatric status, and consultation to non-medical staff. This is primarily a clinical position and incumbents will spend the majority of their time seeing patients, with the same productivity standards and same scheduling guidelines as physicians. Although knowledge of psychosocial issues in the treatment of all patients is desirable, the emphasis in this position is in the biomedical and medicolegal areas. This position requires a substantial level of independence and clinical leadership. The NP will do initial psychiatric evaluations as well as follow up on cases that have been seen by a staff physician. The position is supervised by the Chief Medical Officer.
We offer a competitive benefits package to all full-time employees including Medical & Dental Insurance: Premium 100% paid by SMH for employee coverage and child until the child’s 26th birthday, 401K, 3 weeks of Vacation, Paid Holidays, and Life Insurance.
- Independently evaluate patients for the purpose of determining a differential, psychiatric diagnosis and biopsychosocial case formulation. This evaluation will adhere to all the elements described in medical peer review.
- Assess patients for psychiatric/psychotropic medication necessity.
- Prescribe the psychiatric or psychotropic medications, which are within his/her licensing purview.
- Coordinate with program manager in assigned programs to facilitate integration of medical issues with overall treatment planning
- Screen patients for concurrent non-psychiatric medical conditions and refer for appropriate care.
- Order all appropriate laboratory tests to determine a differential diagnosis and assure safe prescription of medications.
- Assess for medication side effects and treat when appropriate, following guidelines set by accepted professional standards and any other applicable standards of care.
- At least 2 years previous experience prescribing psychotropic medications desired, preferably in community mental health setting
- Requires a current nursing license in the State of Washington,
- Current license to prescribe medicine in the State of Washington, and a current license as an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner in Washington State and applicable DEA for WA State.
- The ability to be reimbursed for services by Medicare and Medicaid is required.
Salary = DOQ
Send letter of interest, resume and salary history to: Sound Mental Health, Attn: Mary Bartels or Alexis Owens, Job #17-061, 1600 E. Olive St., Seattle, WA 98122, or fax to (206) 302-2210, or e-mail to or
SMH is an EEO/AA Employer